Breguet’s Masterpieces

Breguet’s Masterpieces

0 1193
   
Back of Breguet tact
watch no. 1106. ‘To
have the time at one’s fingertips it is sufficient to turn on itself the gold back to which the arrow is attached. When the
back stops, the arrow
has reached the
correct time.’
Breguet repeating watch no.2200, sold to the Comte de Flahaut in 1814 for the sum of 3,000 francs. Breguet perpétuelle repeating watch no.5. The elegant dial has three indicators, showing power reserve, lunations and subsidiary seconds.

     
 Breguet sympathique clock no.430 and accompanying watch no.2787. Reports of the various exhibitions emphasized the popularity of the sympathique clock.  Breguet perpétuelle repeating watch no. 3 4/86. Completed In April 1786, this was one of the very first watches to have a dial decorated with guilloche (engineturning).  Breguet perpétuelle quarterrepeating watch
no.8 10/83, completed in October 1783. Bought
by Armand Louis de Gontaut-Biron, Duc de Lauzun and friend of La Fayette, this is one of the earliest surviving examples of a self-winding watch. It is also equipped with one of the first gong-springs.

Breguet watch no.3271, sold in 1821 to ‘His Highness Prince Nikolai Trubetzkoy’. This piece of small dimensions is exceptional for its dial with Slavonic numerals, which had not been used in Russia for a century. Breguet repeating watch no.2395. The unusual dial has a subsidiary seconds hand at 5 o’clock, a calendar at 9 o’clock and a thermometer between 1 and 2 o’clock. Breguet souscription watch no.443, sold to the Duc de Praslin in 1799.

Breguet repeating watch no.2336. This savonnette or hunter – with the pendant at 3 o’clock and the dial protected by a cover – displays a double Gregorian and Russian calendar on a small eccentric subsidiary dial at VI’. Breguet watch no.3542, sold in 1820 to the Duke of Marlborough: Simple watch, ultra-thin, garde-temps, gold quatre baguettes case guillochée a grains d’orge; eccentric silver dial with slowfast regulation.’ Breguet repeating watch no.2434. This piece, sold in 1810, was unusual in having a case made of platinum, rarely used at the time.